Category Archives: heritage

Abingdon 100 Years Ago – August 1926

Abingdon’s New Vicar

It was announced in the Abingdon churches that the Bishop of Oxford had appointed the Rev. R. C. MacKeown as Vicar of Abingdon, succeeding the Rev. C. S. Fleet, who is leaving to become Rector of Newquay, Cornwall.

Mr. MacKeown is no stranger to Abingdon, having been ordained in 1912 and appointed a a curate in the town. He quickly became popular through his good work and genial nature.

During the First World War he served as a Chaplain to the Forces from 1915 to 1919, seeing action on the French and Belgian fronts, including the Somme. He was mentioned in dispatches by Field-Marshal Sir Douglas Haig.

Returning to Abingdon after the war, he became active in parish affairs before being appointed Vicar of Fenny Stratford in 1922. He is expected to take up his new duties in Abingdon in October 1926.

Abingdon Territorial in Camp

The two Abingdon platoons of the Royal Berkshire Regiment arrived at Chiseldon Camp on a Sunday afternoon, having travelled by train and then marched two miles from the station.

The men were pleasantly surprised by the camp’s facilities. The huts, one for each company, had electric lighting, good washing facilities and lockers shared between two men — a considerable improvement on the bell-tents used in earlier years.

Camp life began early, with reveille at 6 a.m. and parade at 6.30. After breakfast the men cleaned their huts before heading out at 9.30 for field exercises on the surrounding hills. These included attacks on positions held by other companies and outpost duties, with the “enemy” identified by white cap-bands and coloured flags.

After returning to camp, the men had the afternoon largely to themselves. Some visited Swindon or Chiseldon village, while others spent time at the YMCA or NAAFI. Letter-writing was a popular occupation, particularly as the post arrived twice a day, at 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

With good weather and plentiful food, the Abingdon men were expected to return home fit and thoroughly browned by the summer sun.

Telegram links Abingdon to Tragedy

A grim tragedy in a remote cottage in East Hertfordshire had an Abingdon link. Mrs Halse, aged 45, and her three children were found hanged. Mrs Halse had been separated from her husband in 1919 and was living alone with the children.

Under the couple’s separation agreement, her husband, who lived in Devon, had the right to have their two older children stay with him for a month each year. He had not exercised this right in previous years and was due to have them for the first time in 1926. He sent £10 for their travelling expenses. A telegram from a bank in Abingdon had been sent to Mrs Halse, telling her that her husband was insisting that the children should come to him as arranged.  But on Saturday he received a telegram from his wife handed in at Abingdon, saying: “Impossible Monday; cannot change cheque in time. Writing.—Madge.” Mrs Halse’s names were given as Mary Magdalene Gertrude.

The father revealed that he did not know of the existence of the third child. The coroner believed this may have been the key to the tragedy. If the two older children went to Devon, their father would discover that they had a younger sister, whose existence had been kept from him.

There was a further exchange about the Abingdon telegram – signed Madge. A neighbour said Mrs Halse was not out of the village, where she lived, on the Saturday when it was sent. The neighbour was asked if he knew who had handed it in at the Abingdon Post Office. He said, “I have no idea. I don’t know where Abingdon is.”

The jury concluded that Mrs Halse had murdered her three children and then taken her own life, finding that she was of unsound mind at the time.

Abingdon Horticultural Show

The Abingdon Horticultural Show, which was held in the Abbey House grounds was again attended with success.

The perpetual silver challenge cup, given by the Society for the School gaining the highest number of points in the industrial section was won by Wootton School.

The silver challenge bowl, presented by tradesmen of Abingdon, was won by Mr H. Drew, of Longworth.

Mr. H. Westbrook was awarded the challenge cup presented by Major Ralph Glyn, M.C., M.P., for the best collection of vegetables, fruit, salad and flowers grown by a holder of an allotment of not more than 20 poles within half a mile of the Abingdon Borough boundaries.

There was also some very good exhibits in the rabbit and pigeon sections.

Numerous side shows and attractions had been arranged, and the Abingdon Town Band was in attendance. Dancing took place in the evening.

Abingdon Board of Guardians

Mr G. Saxby presided at Monday’s meeting of the Abingdon Board of Guardians when the Master reported that there were 107 inmates in the workhouse, the number for the corresponding week of last year being 100.

Thirty-six men, two women, and two children had been admitted to the casual wards during the past fortnight, this being a decrease of 32 on the corresponding period of last year.

An invitation had been received from the Secretary of Abingdon Horticultural Society for the inmates to visit the Show and about 30 had been able to go and much appreciation was expressed.

A visit to Quaint Little Abingdon

The staff of the Theatre Royal, Leamington Spa, enjoyed their annual outing in August 1926, visiting Oxford and Abingdon.

The party travelled by boat along the Thames from Oxford to what the Leamington, Warwick, Kenilworth & District Daily Circular described as “the quaint little town of Abingdon.” They enjoyed a trip up the river and tea in the town before returning to Oxford for dinner.

Golf Club Pavilion Break In

George Ballard, 26, of Court 16, No. 2, Ock Street, Abingdon, and William Arthur Woodley, Court 3, No. 11, West St. Helen’s Street, were brought before the Abingdon County Bench charged with breaking into the pavilion of the Abingdon Golf Club at Shippon.

The break-in took place overnight on July 30–31, 1926. The men stole two pairs of shoes, a pair of field glasses, 23 packets of cigarettes, seven golf balls and quantities of whisky, beer and minerals, with the total value put at £7 17s 6d.

After initially being remanded in custody, both men made statements admitting the offence. They were each sentenced to three months’ imprisonment.

Bank Holiday

The holiday spirit was much in evidence across North Berkshire during the weekend, helped by fine, warm weather. Large numbers took advantage of the sunshine to get outdoors, with heavy traffic on the roads and plenty of cyclists and weekend campers about.

In Abingdon itself things were relatively quiet, as many residents spent the holiday elsewhere. Some travelled to Lockinge for the show or to Sutton Courtenay for the regatta, while the Gasworks sports at Oxford attracted others. Some travelled to the seaside on Great Western Railway excursions.

Closer to home, the tennis courts and bowling greens in Albert Park were well used, while the grounds of Abbey House offered a retreat for those seeking a quieter day. The Kinema reopened after its vacation, and a dance was held at the Corn Exchange by the Abingdon Men’s Constitutional Association.

There was particular success for Abingdon Athletic Club at the Lockinge Show Sports. They won the North Berks Championship and Sir Mortimer Singer Challenge Shield, defeating the holders, Wantage A.C., by 63 points to 18. Wantage had held the shield for four of the previous six years, making Abingdon’s emphatic victory a notable achievement.

Wedding with list of presents

At the Trinity Wesleyan Church on Tuesday Miss Nan Ricketts, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Ricketts, Oxford Road, Abingdon, was married to Mr. Henry Palmer Tame, of Leek, Staffordshire, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. G. Tame, of The Vineyard, Abingdon.

The Rev. N. E. Dando officiated, and Mrs. Dando was at the organ. Mr. H. Edgington carried out the duties of “best man.”

The bridesmaids were the Misses Joan and Barbara Ricketts (nieces of the bride), and the Misses Clara and Alice Tame (sisters of the bridegroom).

The bride was attired in a dress of white and silver metal brocade, with Juliet cap of orange blossoms and tulle veil, and carried a bouquet of white and pink carnations.

The Misses Tame were in eau-de-nil georgette, with beige crinoline hats, and carried bouquets of shaded pink sweet peas, and the Misses Ricketts wore green crepe-de-chine dresses with silver leaf hair bands and carried bouquets of sweet peas.

The start of the present list read as follows:
Bridegroom to bride—Mauve enamel and silver-fitted dressing-case.
Bride to bridegroom—Set of golf clubs and bag.
Bride’s mother—Silver tea-service, household linen and electric standard lamp.
Bride’s father—Cheque.
Bridegroom’s parents—Canteen of cutlery.
The Misses Tame—Brass candlesticks.
Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Ricketts—Two-valve wireless set in mahogany case.
The Misses Barbara and Joan and Master Tony Ricketts—Oak and brass letter and newspaper rack.
Mr. G. F. Ricketts—Silver cruet.
Mrs. Moores—Silver fruit-dish.
Mrs. Mears (London)—Electric light-shade.
Mr. H. Edgington and Miss Appleton—Boot and shoe-cabinet.
Mr. and Mrs. Brackley (Watford)—Pair of framed pictures.
Mr. C. A. Pryce—Silver spoons.
Mr. G. E. Winship, A.M.I.C.E., and Miss Winship—Silver butter-dish.
Miss Carter—Cut-glass salad-bowl.
Miss James—Salt cellars.
Mr. and Mrs. Scarrott—Oak tea-tray.
Mrs. and Miss Broxup (Hastings)—Breakfast-set and tray.
Mr. Benbow (Leek)—Silver sardine-dish.
Mrs. Jackman (Leek)—Leather wallet.
Mrs. Ball (Watford)—Cheque.
Mr. and Mrs. Batty—Pair of flower-bowls.
Mrs. Salmon (Thame)—Fruit-dish.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith—Bag and cushions.
Mrs. Carter (London)—Silver vase.

Hospital Board

The Medical Officer reported that since the last meeting there had been 12 admissions — three of diphtheria, eight scarlet fever, and one of enteric. There were 15 patients in the Isolation Hospital and 22 in the Sanatorium.

The Matron reported that she had to thank the following for gifts: Miss Hooke, magazines; Mrs. Lowry, buns; Miss Mollie Langford, fruit; Mrs. Tatham, cake; British Red Cross Society, parcel of books; Waifs and Strays Society, flowers; Mrs. Ruby, books and papers; Primitive Methodist anniversary, jam and eggs; Police Sports, teas; Mrs. Ernest Langford, fruit, books and cakes; the Madrigal Quartette, a concert and fruit; Mrs. Duffield, flowers, magazines and sweets.

Acknowledgements

Thanks are due to the British Newspaper Archive for access to the Faringdon Advertiser and Vale of the White Horse Gazette for some stories; the Dundee Courier for the story of the tragedy; the Leamington, Warwick, Kenilworth & District Daily Circular for quaint Abingdon; to the North Berks Herald microfilm at Abingdon Library for additional stories and the advert; and to the Oxford Journal at Oxford Library for the photographs of the New Vicar, Fishing and Earl of Abingdon.

Abingdon 100 Years Ago – July 1926

Temporary Bridge Opens While Abingdon Bridge is Unsafe

The temporary bridge across the River Thames opened to traffic in early July.

It had been designed to carry what was described as a “30 cwt. lorry” — meaning a lorry capable of carrying a load of 30 cwt., or a total vehicle weight, including the vehicle itself, of five tons.

The bridge operated as a one-way crossing, with a man stationed at each end to signal traffic. Piles had been driven into the river to support the central section, while trestles and cribs supported the structure on the land.

The temporary crossing was an important solution to keep traffic moving while the future of the old bridge was considered.

Abingdon Man Killed in Motorcycle Crash at Sandy Lane Crossroads

A tragic accident occurred at Sandy Lane Crossroads, Tubney, about eight o’clock on a Sunday evening, when an Abingdon man sustained fatal injuries.

John George Cox, aged 21, of 34 Bostock Road, Abingdon, was riding a motor-cycle and sidecar from Appleton towards Abingdon, accompanied by Harry Viner of Winterbourne Road.

At the crossroads, the motorcycle collided with a motor car driven by Mr Reginald Panes and owned by Mr Tracy Percival Rogers of “Friezewood”, Rudgeway, Bristol. The car was travelling from Oxford towards Faringdon. The force of the collision turned the car completely around, and Cox was seriously injured.

Another motorcycle following behind was also involved, with the rider being thrown from his machine.

Cox and the other injured rider were taken to the Radcliffe Infirmary, where John George Cox died the following morning at 6.20am.


Berkshire Constabulary Sports Bring Large Crowd to Westfields

The nineteenth annual Berkshire Constabulary Sports were held at Westfields, Abingdon, and attracted a record crowd.

The main attraction advertised beforehand was a musical ride and mounted display by the 12th Royal Lancers, accompanied by their regimental band.

The display proved to be the highlight of the afternoon, with spectators impressed by the skill and precision of the Lancers’ horsemanship.

The sporting competitions were also warmly received, particularly the keenly contested tug-of-war between police teams, which proved especially popular with younger spectators.

Superintendent Goddard was praised for his leading role in organising the successful event.

Abingdon Skiff Regatta Held on the Thames

The Abingdon Skiff Regatta was held in July and was regarded as a sporting success, although the attendance was smaller than hoped.

The weather was thought to have played a part in reducing the size of the crowd, while reports also commented that delays between races could discourage spectators.

Despite this, competitors supported the event strongly, with 56 entries received — only ten fewer than the previous year’s record.

The organising committee was already considering ways to improve future regattas, including the introduction of a novelty event during intervals to entertain visitors between races.


Broncho Bill’s Wild West Circus Brings Elephants to Abingdon

Abingdon welcomed a very different form of entertainment in July 1926 when Broncho Bill’s Wild West Show arrived in town, bringing with it two famous performing elephants: Salt and Saucy.

Ahead of the performances, Broncho Bill explained that the elephants were both 28 years old and had already spent twenty years entertaining audiences in major cities around the world. Their appearance with the circus was their first time performing with a show in Great Britain.

Saucy’s most famous act was balancing on her head, a trick which had reportedly taken three years to master and was claimed to be unique.

The circus also travelled with a baby elephant, giving audiences the chance to see animals rarely encountered in everyday life.

Broncho Bill gave an insight into circus life, including the fact that the elephants’ toenails were filed and polished every three weeks so that they looked their best beneath the bright stage lights.

Roysse’s School Founder’s Day Celebrations

Roysse’s School celebrated Founder’s Day in July with the traditional service at St Helen’s Church.

The service was conducted by the Rev. J. K. Sitwell, with Archdeacon James, C.B.E., preaching the sermon. The Head Master, Mr W. M. Gundy, read the lessons.

Following the service, the annual prize-giving took place in the Corn Exchange, with Major R. G. C. Glyn, M.C., M.P., presenting the prizes.

Tea was afterwards served in the school grounds, while the City of Oxford Military Band played selections for those attending.


Northcourt Canine Club Dog Show at Abbey House Grounds

Dog lovers gathered at the Abbey House Grounds in July for the second annual open dog show organised by the Northcourt (Abingdon) Canine Club.

The event attracted more entries than the previous year, and the quality of the dogs was reported to have improved, particularly in the Sealyham classes.

The judges included Mrs Leismore Gordon, Miss Tetlet for Cocker Spaniels, Mrs W. R. V. Morgan, H. Yarrow, Vanham Smith and W. J. Nichols.

The attendance was described as good, and the show was considered a considerable success.


Historic Barton Court Put Up for Sale

A notable historic property in Abingdon came onto the market.

Barton Court, associated with the poet Algernon Swinburne and his biographer Theodore Watts-Dunton, was announced for sale by auction.

The property, owned by Mr C. L. Gray, was partly Jacobean and partly Georgian, with later additions. The buildings dated from 1665, 1748 and 1860.

The grounds contained the remains of Old Barton Abbey, described as the ruins of an ancient Benedictine Abbey dating back to the ninth or tenth century.

Mr Gray explained that “the Abbey” had been the old guest-house of the Benedictine monks.

Waifs and Strays Society Fête Held in the Abbey Grounds

A charity fête was held in the Abbey Grounds in aid of the Waifs and Strays Society.

The event was opened by the Hon. Mrs Glyn and included a variety of stalls and entertainments.

Children from Dry Sandford School, under the supervision of Mrs Roberts, performed maypole dancing, which was greatly appreciated by those attending.

Mr Ackling’s Band provided music throughout the afternoon and later played for dancing on the lawn.

Borough Council Ends Farming Operation

At a meeting of Abingdon Borough Council , a decision was taken to end the council’s farming operation.

A motion was passed to terminate the farming activities, sell the stock and crops, and let any land not required for sewage disposal purposes.

The decision marked a change in the way the council managed its land and municipal responsibilities.

Acknowledgements

Thanks are due to the British Newspaper Archive for access to the Faringdon Advertiser and Vale of the White Horse Gazette for some stories and Country Life for the Barton Court Advert; to the North Berks Herald microfilm at Abingdon Library for additional stories and the advert for the circus; and to the Oxford Journal at Oxford Library for the photographs of the bridge, dogs and Berkshire Constabulary Sports.

The Saxton Family in Abingdon


The Saxton Family made a big contribution to Abingdon during the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The Saxton family’s contribution to Abingdon is remembered today through one of Abingdon most famous roads, Saxton Road, where the pub used to display their coat of arms. They also donated two famous royal portraits to the town, and held some distinguished positions in the town.

The family’s association with Abingdon began with Edward Saxton, a merchant and distiller, who was elected Mayor of Abingdon in 1730. (ref 1)

Edward’s eldest son, Clement Saxton (1724–1810), was educated at Abingdon School and enjoyed a distinguished military career in the Berkshire Militia. He served as High Sheriff of Berkshire in 1777, lived at Caldicott (now called Caldecott), supported Abingdon School as a benefactor, and is commemorated with a plaque in St Helen’s Church. (ref 2)

His younger brother, Sir Charles Saxton, 1st Baronet (1732–1808), entered the Royal Navy and after captaining various ships  became Commissioner of His Majesty’s Dockyard at Portsmouth. In recognition of his public service he was created Baronet of Circourt in 1794. (ref 3)

One of his gifts to Abingdon is recorded in the Oxford Journal (18 June 1808): “… full-length original portraits’ of the King and Queen have been presented to the Corporation of Abingdon, by Sir Charles Saxton, Baronet, whose son is Recorder of that town. These valuable pictures have been put up in the Council Chamber…” (ref 4)

The portraits of King George III and Queen Charlotte, partly attributed to Thomas Gainsborough, remain among the town’s most important paintings and are still displayed in the council chamber over 200 years later.

The donor’s son, Sir Charles Saxton, 2nd Baronet (1773–1838), also has a plaque in St Helen’s Church. He qualified as a barrister and became Recorder of Abingdon (the town’s chief legal officer) from 1805 until 1819. He entered government service in Ireland, becoming Civil Under-Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant. In 1812 he was elected to Parliament for Cashel (County Tipperary, Ireland), which he served until 1818. He later served as High Sheriff of Berkshire in 1824–25 and died at Caldecott House in 1838. (ref 3, ref 5)

References

1. Abingdon-on-Thames Town Council. Mayors of Abingdon since 1556.
https://www.abingdon.gov.uk/town-council/your-mayor/mayors-abingdon-thames-1556

2. Hammond, Nigel. Stewards(1743–1822) and Presidents (1893–2009) of the Old Abingdonian Club. Abingdon School Archive uploaded 2020 (original article 2008) p. 8.
https://archives.abingdon.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hammond-stewards-presidents-part-1.pdf

3. Cokayne, George Edward. The Complete Baronetage, Vol. V. Exeter: W. Pollard & Co., 1900, pp. 287–289 (“Saxton of Circourt”).
https://archive.org/details/completebaroneta05coka/page/288/mode/2up

4. Oxford Journal, Saturday 18 June 1808, p. 3.

5. Jupp, P. J. “SAXTON, Sir Charles, 2nd Bt. (1773–1838), of Circourt, Berks.” The History of Parliament: The House of Commons 1790–1820.
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1790-1820/member/saxton-sir-charles-1773-1838

Abingdon Museum continues the story of the town with an Anglo Saxon exhibition


Following last year’s Roman exhibition, Abingdon Museum is continuing the story of the town and its people with a new exhibition exploring the Anglo-Saxon period from around AD 450 to 1066.

The exhibition shows more of the Museum’s Anglo-Saxon collection, alongside artefacts that are permanently on display.

Among the major discoveries featured are the finds from Barrow Hills and the Saxton Road Saxon cemetery. The Saxton Road cemetery has helped archaeologists learn about the people who lived here over 1,300 years ago. It was discovered after Mr Clargo, a workman digging a sewer trench for the new council houses in Saxton Road, recognised the significance of an urn and a metal object. Because many Anglo-Saxon burials included grave goods, archaeologists have been able to learn about the beliefs and everyday lives of those buried there.

The exhibition is arranged around a series of display boards covering many aspects of Anglo-Saxon life, including the Anglo-Saxon migrations into Britain, jewellery and personal possessions, burial customs, clothing, housing, domestic life and religion. Although Anglo-Saxon houses have long since disappeared, excavations have uncovered post holes and buildings with sunken floors.

The growth of Christianity and the establishment of the Abbey at Abingdon are also explored, alongside the Museum’s rare 7th-century gold ring decorated with glass beads and the famous Abingdon Sword.

The Museum is run by Abingdon Town Council, and it is thanks to its predecessor, Abingdon Borough Council, that most of the Saxton Road cemetery was excavated before the housing estate was built. The exhibition runs until 27th September. Admission is free.