The Kings Head and Bell re-opened this evening after being closed during the summer months.
The pub had been refurbished and repainted and there was a new pub sign. The King’s head has been replaced with a Brewing Bell. According to The Town Council History Portal there was a pub here before 1554 called The Bell. In the eighteenth century the King’s Head was first added to its name.
The beer was good.
The Mayor was there with the head of the pub chain for the opening.
The major innovation from the refurbishment is enclosing a lot of the courtyard. The roof can be retracted – as happens at Wimbledon. One of the glass walls can also be opened. So on sunny days there is a courtyard, and in rain and winter there is a covered eating area near the revamped kitchen.