
Smith’s Chemist are moving from the High Street.

Smith’s Chemist is probably Abingdon’s oldest town centre shop. There was a Mr William Smith who ran a Chemist in the High Street from at least 1830 (image from Pigot & Co National Directory). He died in 1891 at the age of 86.
In 1894 the shop moved to its current position at 21 High Street, and a A.W. Franklin took over.
There is a Francis Frith picture of the High Street in 1965 where W Smith & CO – Chemist – can be seen at 21-23 High Street. Since then number 21 has become P.B Conway Opticians, and Smiths, at 23, extended into the old Library Reading Room behind, after the library moved to Bury Street.

When the business moves to Stert Street, the name will change to Avicenna pharmacy – a group founded 20 years ago, and the UK’s largest independent pharmacy support group.







